Friday 14 January 2011

My Holiday Reading...



These books are brilliant!!! I've added both of these books although I read the first book of the series, some time ago, I can't wait for the next one.


Beautiful Creatures.
I read this just after I finished my painting, I Love You Inside Out Whoever You May Be. I really connected to this book as it's main character Lena, reminded me so much of an older Mimi. In my painting, there is a boy. Mimi can't see him but can hear his voice, she feels love, but doesn't know it yet, or who it is for.  The boy in the book - Ethan hears a song in his dreams,  that take over into his everyday. He then meets the girl who he already knows in his dreams. 


Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she’s struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps, and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town’s oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.
 In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.
Beautiful Darkness
Surprisingly, as I wouldn't have thought it possible, - this book is even better!
Ethan Wate used to think of Gatlin, the small Southern town he had always called home, as a place where nothing ever changed. Then he met mysterious newcomer Lena Duchannes, who revealed a secret world that had been hidden in plain sight all along. A Gatlin that harbored ancient secrets beneath its moss-covered oaks and cracked sidewalks. A Gatlin where a curse has marked Lena’s family of powerful supernaturals for generations. A Gatlin where impossible, magical, life-altering events happen.
Sometimes life-ending.
 Together they can face anything
Gatlin throws at them, but after suffering a tragic loss, Lena starts to pull away, keeping secrets that test their relationship. And now that Ethan’s eyes have been opened to the darker side of Gatlin, there’s no going back. Haunted by strange visions only he can see, Ethan is pulled deeper into his town’s tangled history and finds himself caught up in the dangerous network of underground passageways endlessly crisscrossing the South, where nothing is as it seems.

If you are interested in more check out  the Beautiful Creatures/Darkness website and the
Caster girls fan site.




Typically I chose this book for it's cover. It follows Lou's friendship with No, who is homeless. It is raw and painful and yet remains beautiful all at the same time.




I didn't like this book to start with, it's written from the view of five year old Jack. It annoyed me by some of the things he would say, that made him seemed too young for a five year old while at the same time it was obvious he was very intelligent. I then had a bit of the feeling of The Truman Show. Eventually something clicked, I'm not sure where or how far I got in this book, but it's a brilliant read.
It is heartbreaking, hard and powerful. It builds on the strength of love between Jack and his mother, that  becomes strong enough to free them.......




Although I have many books similar to this one, probably read some ten years ago, I'm not sure why but this one left me with a sour taste in my throat and asking myself why is it I want to be an artist again? It is nothing short of what I would have expected, maybe it has more to me - now? I don't know, normally I love reading this stuff, this time it felt annoying. About a load of drunk - piss heads that call themselves artist's living off the dole..... and if that's not bad enough I hate their work that they call art.




Strange: What can I say, I've made it halfway, will I make it to the end? I'm not sure. 



No comments:

Post a Comment